Wednesday 15 December 2010

Tom Howes Branding - Stationary ideas

There are some brilliantly designed identities around at the minute. It's noticing these over the summer that made me want to give it a go for myself. Although I love image making I really like some of the type/layout as well as the colour and composition on these examples;


 1)

2)

3)

 4)


5)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

1&2) Identity for J.W. Hall builders by Abby Brewster. The mixture of typefaces is something I really like and want to try out myself. I love the two patterns used in the stationary, they're quite different but work as a whole and tie the identity together. It would have been nice to see the envelope pattern used on the back of the business card (the one with solid black) but apart from that this is a really nice set, it looks quite luxurious for just a two colour identity but the little detailing makes it that little bit more special.

3) It was this folded business card by Dan Cassaro (or maybe a little book cover/card wallet, I'm not sure) that gave me the idea to make Tom's branding a bit more eyecatching by using a block pattern. As I mentioned above, the bit of detailing a pattern can bring something to life.

4) 'The Great Gatsby Business Card Print
Chapter four of F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby reads like a VIP guest list of the Jazz Age. Taking inspiration from those pages, this poster is comprised of the business cards and personal stationery of the movers and shakers that attended Gatsby's parties in the summer of 1922.'


The trend for making something new look old always appeals to me (Nostalgia in design is my dissertation subject) so I was drawn to this, especially the array of nice type. Without even knowing who each business card is designed for you get a good sense of character just through the colour, composition and typeface used. This communication through visuals is important especially in branding and identities as it can be the first impression a customer or potential employer will get.


5) I love this because it's ultra modern, ultra slick, bold and attractive. All this when essentially it's a very basic composition of shape and type as well as being in black and white. I knew for my design my budget would be tight and I was starting to worry about pulling it off on low funds but this proves good design doesn't have to cost the earth. Branding for Stack architects by The Consult

No comments:

Post a Comment