Tuesday 5 October 2010

Cats, dogs (and other animals)


Tom Edwards. I saw his illustrations a while ago and whilst browing through his flickr recently I saw his lovely animal illustrations. The cat, specifically is sort of what my cat and dog illustrations are looking a bit like at the minute. My illustrations will have the same kind of whimsical, colourful, free hand sort of look to them. I'm going to be drawing mainly with watercolour pencils and coloured chalk. I have a tendancy of worrying when I draw that they will come out too erm...child like. I enjoy drawing for myself, I don't show people these drawings because they are so...abstract? I suppose. Anyway, my point is that although these drawings bear a  similarity in my own personal drawings (media, textures, subjects etc) Tom Edward's is really very popular, and people seem to enjoy what he does. I'm rambling a bit now, I will come back to this post and make sure it makes more sense.






Kim Ga Young's rabbit is so lovely! I saw this ages ago and although I'm not too fond of the rest of her work this is a lovely technique or illustrating animals. I know some of my animals will be quite colourful so when I saw this again I thought it fitted in quite well with the style of illustration I am producing. It's also a very cute rabbit.
Verity Keniger has quite a varied style which is refreshing for someone like me to see. I like her tigeress and the colour and texture she has put into it. Colour and texture are two fairly important things in my cat and dog drawings so it's good to see how different illustrators use these two different things. Very good.






No comments:

Post a Comment